TOURISM AS A DEVELOPMENT OPPORTUNITY OF RURAL AREAS IN THE REPUBLIC OF SERBIA
Rural areas cover a significant part of the territory and the total population of the Republic of Serbia. However, the population of these areas is mainly engaged in agriculture, with greater poverty than urban areas. Therefore, it is necessary to foster better integration of the primary sector with other sectors, especially with the manufacturing industry, first of all with the food industry and the tertiary sector, i.e. tourism, to provide additional income for the rural economy. The subject of this research is the role and importance of tourism in the development of rural areas of the Republic of Serbia, with the aim of indicating that tourism represents one of the significant opportunities for the future sustainable development of rural areas of the Republic of Serbia. This paper will also analyze the impact of tourists’ overnight stays by type of tourist resorts on the share of tourism in GDP, with an emphasis on the rural tourist households.
2. Bošković, N., Vujičić, M., Ristić, L. (2019). Sustainable tourism development indicators for mountain destinations in the Republic of Serbia. Current Issues in Tourism, 1-13.
3. Bošković, T. (2012). Ekonomski efekti razvoja turizma u ruralnim područjima Srbije. Škola biznisa, No. 2, 29-34.
4. Čomić, Lj. (2002). Ruralni turizam u Srbiji - mogućnosti i perspektive. Turizam, No. 6, 119-120.
5. Dimitrijević, M. (2018). Tourism in the function of sustainable development. TISC - Tourism International Scientific Conference, Vrnjačka Banja, 3(2), 400-415.
6. Fleischer, A., Tchetchik, A. (2005). Does rural tourism benefit from agriculture? Tourism Management, Vol. 26, No. 4, 493–501.
7. Huylenbroeck, G.V., Vandermeulen, V., Mettepenningen, E., Verspecht, A. (2007). Multifunctionality of Agriculture: A Review of Definitions, Evidence and Instruments. Living Reviews in Landscape Research, Vol. 1, No. 3, 5-43.
8. Knoema Corporation US, (2020), Serbia - Contribution of travel and tourism to GDP as a share of GDP, https://knoema.com/atlas/Serbia/
topics/Tourism/Travel-and-Tourism-Total-Contribution-to-GDP/Contribution-of-travel-and-tourism-to-GDP-percent-of-GDP, (23 February 2020).
9. Lane, B. (1994). What is rural tourism? Journal of Sustainable Tourism, Vol. 2, No. 1-2, 7–21.
10. Manić, E. (2014). Održivi ruralni turizam kao faktor razvoja ruralnih područja: primer Srbije. Acta geographica Bosniae et Herzegovinae, No. 1, 23-34.
11. Nagaraju L.G., Chandrashekara, B. (2014). Rural Tourism and Rural Development in India. International Journal of Interdisciplinary and Multidisciplinary Studies, Vol. 1, No. 6, 42-48.
12. Njegovan, Z., Demirović, D., Radović, G. (2015). Upravljanje održivim razvojem ruralnog turizma u Vojvodini. Škola biznisa, No. 5, 68-79.
13. OECD, (1994), Tourism strategies and rural development. Organisation for economic co-operation and development, Paris, https://www.oecd.org/
cfe/tourism/2755218.pdf, (10 February 2020).
14. Ploeg, J.D. van der, Renting, H., Brunori, G., Knickel, K., Mannion, J., Marsden, T., de Roest, K., Sevilla-Guzmán, E. & Ventura, F. (2000). Rural development: from practices and policies towards theory. Sociologia Ruralis, Vol. 40, No. 4, 391-408.
15. Ristić, L., Bošković, N., Despotović, D. (2019). Održivi integralni razvoj poljoprivrede i turizma u Republici Srbiji. Ekonomski horizonti, Vol. 21, No. 1, 57-74.
16. Ristić, L., Vujičić, S. M., Leković, M. (2016). Tourism as a factor of sustainable development of rural areas belonging to Rudnička Morava. Economics of Agriculture, Vol. 63, No. 2, 665-680.
17. Ristić, L., Vujičić, М., Radević, B. (2019). Poverty Reduction as a Factor of Sustainable Development of Rural Areas in the Republic of Serbia. Fresenius Environmental Bulletin, Vol. 28, No. 9, 6998-7005.
18. Republički zavod za statistiku (RZS). (2011.-2019.). Statistički godišnjak Republike Srbije, od 2011-2019. godine. Republički zavod za statistiku Republike Srbije, Beograd.
19. Sasu, K.A., Epuran, G. (2016). An overview of the new trends in rural tourism. Bulletin of the Transilvania University of Braşov Series V: Economic Sciences, Vol. 9 (58), No. 2, 119-126.
20. Veselinović, P., Dimitrijević, M., Kostić, M. (2019). Significance of Fiscal Policy for Economic Development and Agriculture. Economics of Agriculture, Vol. 66, No. 2, 357-373.
21. WTTC, (2019), Serbia - 2019 Annual research: key highlights, https://www.wttc.org/economic-impact/country-analysis/country-data#
undefined, (25 February 2020).