FOREST DEVASTATION AND ILLEGAL LOGGING – IMPEDIMENT TO DEVELOPMENT OF TOURISM
The paper focuses on forest devastation and illegal logging, as well as their detriments to tourism development, especially in terms of their incidence on the territory of the Republic of Serbia between 2009 and 2018. Two research issues that the paper deals with are: terminology distinction between deforestation and timber theft, and the analysis of ten-year occurrence of the criminal offences of forest devastation and illegal logging in the territory of the Republic of Serbia, as well as their impact on the development of the mountain and other types of tourism in Serbia. The purpose of the research conducted in this paper is to confirm the hypothesis that forest devastation and timber theft not only impair the ecosystem, but also significantly deter the development of tourism. There are two main findings in the paper: forest devastation and illegal logging affect the ecosystem, especially the flora, fauna, public health and the environment; the incidence of criminal offences of forest devastation and illegal logging affect the tourism and require wider engagement of all institutions and associations, as well as more stringent punitive measures for such offences.
2. Danilović, N., Lazić, D. (2018). Environmental pollution as an obstacle to tourism development. TISC - Tourism International Scientific Conference Vrnjačka Banja, Vol. 3, No. 2, 452-471.
3. Danilović, N., Lazić, D. (2019). Corruption and corruption offences in tourism. TISC - Tourism International Scientific Conference, Vrnjačka Banja, Vol. 4, No. 1, 663-681.
4. Konu, H. (2015). Developing a forest based wellbeing tourism product together with customers – An ethnographic approach. Tourism Management, Vol. 49, 1-16.
5. Nilsson, K., Sangster, M., Gallis, C., Hartig, T., Sjerp, V., Seeland, K., Schipperijn, J. (2011). Forests, Trees and Human Health, Springer, New York.
6. Nonić, M., Nedeljković, J., & Nonić, D. (2017). Strategic and legal frameworks for conservation of forest genetic resources in Serbia. Selekcija i semenarstvo, Vol. 23, No. 1, 11-26.
7. Stojanović, Z. (2019). Comment on Criminal Code, Official Gazette, Belgrade.
8. Stojanović, Z., Delić N. (2013). Criminal Law – general part, Law reference book, Faculty of Law, University of Belgrade, Belgrade.
9. The Criminal Code, Official Gazette RS, No. 85/2005, 88/2005 - corr., 107/2005 - corr., 72/2009, 111/2009, 121/2012, 104/2013, 108/2014, 94/2016 and 35/2019.
10. The Law on Forests, Official Gazette RS, No. 30/2010, 93/2012, 89/2015 and 95/2018 – other law.
11. The Law on National Parks, Official Gazette RS, No. 84/2015 and 95/2018 – other law.
12. World Health Organization, (2019), https://www.who.int/publications/ (10 December 2019).